by Craig Gustafson and Kurt Beckmann
Tablet design continues to mature and local expert Keith Gilbert of Gilbert Consulting stays on the cutting edge. At the 2013 MMPA Summit & Expo, he offered up-to the minute ideas for keeping readers engaged through design.
- Designers should get an iPad. Then, subscribe to and get familiar with many digital apps and magazines.
- Digital replicas of magazines have inherent problems: They don’t use horizontal layout well, the body text becomes too small, and video and audio limitations arise.
- When crossing content over to tablets, it pays to rethink everything. Creative interactive content presentation keeps readers engaged in your publication.
- Horizontal orientation reigns in apps 80 percent of the time. It easily transitions to full-screen video and landscape photos (most common orientation), while dula orientation is lots more work and consumes twice the file size (think download time and limited device memory).
- Take advantage of Adobe’s Multi-State Objects (MSO) to simplify design and save time.