The Difference Between Selling to Marketers and Agencies
by Kolina Cicero, president, Cicero Media
Goals of these buying interests are very different
Leslie Laredo, president of Laredo Group, made one thing very clear at the MMPA Summit & Expo: there is a behemoth difference between selling to agencies and selling to marketers. Each come equipped with its own benefits and challenges, so it’s imperative to familiarize yourself with what each provides.
Here are just a few differences between agencies and marketers:
- Keep their fingers on the pulse of the digital ecosystem
- Think in real-time
- Collaborate with the media
- Continuously evolve in all aspects, such as re-thinking media buying, keeping up with analytics and making changes based on results
- Focus on gaining market shares at the expense of a competitor
- Implement ways to acquire new consumers and retain current ones
- Develop new projects
- Enter new markets
Whichever route you take, be sure to do your research in order to find the best fit. Ask what their process is, if they are multi- or single-brand companies, and what their analytics are. Don’t be afraid to challenge them. And if anybody knows this, it’s superstar seller Leslie Laredo.